A Kitchen Diary of sorts with rather a lot of chit chat and some exceptionally useful recipes. Photos and artwork by Anna Vaught (me), Giles Turnbull and the generous people at Flickr who make their work available through creative commons. They are thanked individually throughout the blog.

Tuesday 24 November 2009

Thanksgiving dinner 2009



This year, in  A slight Departure from the Norm, I have not bought a whole turkey but have managed to secure a heist of turkey legs and some breast meat to be served alongside. This is because I find that we get (well, I get, really) bored more quickly with endless turkey meals than I do with chicken. So, as we're only four to dinner this year, I'm playing to my strengths.



We will be having

Roast turkey drumstucks with whole garlic cloves in their skins
Roast potatoes
Sage and onion stuffing, which to a Southerner would be dressing. And, as I am not serving it inside a bird this year, it will be cooked to one side anyway.
Carrots
Collards (actually, savoy cabbage -- and it will be well cooked with a little bacon in there)
Turkey gravy
Cornbread

NO PUMPKIN PIEI know, I know. But this year, just some good vanilla ice cream with, for those who want it, baked apples to one side.I will have cooked them with sugar and spice, and a sparkler and possibly a small flag will be stuck in the top somewhere.

No presents. Just family, sad and happy stuff, this being real life, lots of food, a fire, a walk, board games, a film on telly. Everyone off work and school..Calls to and from America and God Bless It.

RECIPES TOMORROW!

No comments: