A Kitchen Diary of sorts with rather a lot of chit chat and some exceptionally useful recipes. Photos and artwork by Anna Vaught (me), Giles Turnbull and the generous people at Flickr who make their work available through creative commons. They are thanked individually throughout the blog.

Tuesday 23 November 2010

The cup of tea

THIS BLOG IS BACK. I TOOK A LITTLE BREAK BECAUSE OF OTHER COMMITMENTS. BUT SPREAD THE WORD AND PUT THE KETTLE ON
BECAUSE

I have been disturbed, in recent months,  by the fact that I have gone off cups of tea. This has been due to morning sickness (number three on the way) BUT HOORAH! While green pesto -or in fact the smell of basil in any setting- and -horrors- chicken are out for the time being, the tea is back. THIS IS IMPORTANT. Like Dr Johnson, you see, I prescribe cups of tea for refreshment, solace and general good cheer. My mother was big on sherry for this, but obviously that's out right now and one cannot be imbibing sherry through the day. So here is my prescription for you. OH: I fear I am so very British.

Put on kettle and, simultaneously, radio 4. Go to cupboard and select a mug. Again THIS IS IMPORTANT. I am instantly depressed by the thought of a cup of tea in a thin mug. You know; one that looks a bit delicate, with a spindly handle. Technically, it might be from your 'best mugs' collection, should you have such a thing, but right now it doesn't cut it. I apologise for the slight vulgarity of the simile, but my mother once said (this must have gone in deep) that thin lips suggested meanness. You know; like a limp handshake (unless you were actually dying)? So, drinking tea from a thin little mug, however pretty, would be, for me, like kissing a man with thin lips. It would not suggest abundance and generosity.  I prefer a solid little willow pattern cup and saucer or a chunky-looking mug with a good thick rim. My two favourites of recent years have been the gloriously tacky 'Georgia Peach' mug with the revolving peach on the handle and, also from the Southern U.S., a thick pink mug sold by an old fashioned family restaurant and diner at Fancy Hill, just outside Lexington in Virginia. There's a picture of a cadillac on it because it hails from 'The (pink) Cadillac Cafe'. It has no handle because, well, this ain't no couture mug and it wasn't stuck on properly. But I don't care: I love it and it speaks to me.

Now, I wouldn't complain if you made me tea with a teabag just in that thar mug, but best of all, is for you to use either loose or tea bag in my blue teapot - which you have warmed - and that you then leave it to brew properly. For here are some more depressing things done by friends and family of mine. A certain friend: one tea bag between two and then just a quick dip in the water. NOOOO! A certain person to whom I might be related by marriage: similar concept, but the tea bag is also left on the side of the sink (albeit on a sweet little saucer) ALL DAY. I think that tea bag just does one person apiece. But even so. NOOOO!

Leave that tea to brew and let it be known that, in our area of deep lime and its attendant hard water, I favour the brand called Yorkshire Tea for hard water areas. I could go on about all sorts of teas but right here, I won't. Good and strong and a little bit malty. Pour the tea into the mug first then add the milk. But leave room in the cup or mug for plenty of milk. Strangely enough, I favour quite full-bodied tea, but I like plenty of milk. I have been told this is a bit common.

Sit in a soft chair and continue listening to radio 4, ignoring all chores and outside interference.

I am suppposed to say, I think, that if you are up the duff (sic: pregnant), you should keep your caffeine intake low. But, also, babies like you to be happy. So have a biscuit or some sort of slab of fruit cake it with it.

No comments: