A Kitchen Diary of sorts with rather a lot of chit chat and some exceptionally useful recipes. Photos and artwork by Anna Vaught (me), Giles Turnbull and the generous people at Flickr who make their work available through creative commons. They are thanked individually throughout the blog.

Thursday 1 October 2009

A fishfinger sandwich for a late breakfast.


Nope: not for the kids. I'm still feeling peaky and couldn't face breakfast, but this was just the ticket at 10 a.m.. You just...

Get some decent bread. I'd like a good granary or wholemeal loaf. And, for one, I'd recommend a minimum of two fish fingers per slice of toast. You'll see why in a moment.

Now, the photo on the right is from a photographer at  www.flickr.com called Adactio. Have a look: I've been enjoying these photos for a while. This is a somewhat upmarket version of what I suggest below. But look at that fine toast  and you'll see where I'm at, too!

Put your fish fingers under the grill. And the fish fingers of choice are not cod, but something made from 'white fish'. You know we shouldn't be eating cod. Just check out the range: I'd point you in the direction of Birds' Eye, though. Although, during my recent fishfinger research campaign, I did discover some good specimens in Lidl that were made from Alaskan Pollock. But grill, do not fry. They should be properly crisp on the outside.

Having toasted your bread, you butter it liberally (or not) and then put the fishfingers on the bread, breaking them up a bit and serving them with lashings of tomato ketchup. I like these open faced, actually. So you need plenty of fishfingers or it looks a bt mean and thats's no good at all for your morale. And I am bound to say that the fishfinger sandwich concept does not work unless you have a big mug of builder's tea to one side. See: it's the little details that make me happy. How about you?

1 comment:

Anna Vaught (Mrs Ned) said...

Also good to make for Mrs Vaught's occasional breaskfast in bed, says my husband. x