A Kitchen Diary of sorts with rather a lot of chit chat and some exceptionally useful recipes. Photos and artwork by Anna Vaught (me), Giles Turnbull and the generous people at Flickr who make their work available through creative commons. They are thanked individually throughout the blog.

Thursday 1 October 2009

Sweetcorn: a feast.

I've had some lovely sweetcorn from an organic box. Riverford: to be recommended -- and they kindly gave me lots of vegetables as they left our food festival here in Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire. Thank you. Here's a link -- they didn't ask me to do this, I should say! I'm just a customer. www.riverfordorganicveg.co.uk

Right: Here is what I did with my haul of corn -- plus another idea or two. By the way, the picture you see --it's elsewhere on the blog, too-- is of my favourite tin. This is for cooking the Southern cornbread to keep the Georgian husband in fine fettle and under the thumb. Ooops: I said that aloud, didn't I? This tin makes beautiful ears of cornbread. Courtesy of  Mom, latterly of Georgia, lately of Virginia.



Just cooked in water..

1. Choose plump ears in their rustling little jackets. Just undress them, bring them to the boil and then cook gently until toothsome -- which would be about fifteen minutes. All you need is butter. Some like to add salt and maybe even a little vinegar, but I just like them with the butter dripping down my chin. We do have some sweet little sweetcorn-shaped prongs to hold them, but usually, I just take a couple of napkins or bear the heat. They are a feast.

In the oven...

2. Corn roasted in the oven. Take as many ears of corn as you would like to eat. Now here is what I have seen in the Southern Unites States. Let the corn soak --in its jackets-- in cold water for ten minutes or so, then peel back the jacket without removing it. Pull out all those little wispy bits --those are the silks-- and put the jackets back. Then, twist the jacket at the top to seal in the corn. Nice touch, huh? Now roast the corn in a hot oven for about twenty minutes. Then just hand them over with a dish of decent butter.

On the barbeque or...

3. An autumn barbeque. Now, I have eaten roasted (some mght call it griddled) corn in a few parts of the world. Here is something I happen to love.

Undress the corn and then soak it for ten minutes or so. Dry it carefully. Now, take it up in your hands and massage it with a mixture of oil and butter (or just oil), salt, pepper, red chilli flakes and lime juice, whack it on a hot barbeque, under a hot grill or onto one of those heavy gridle pans. Allow it to sizzle away, making sure that it does not burn. This process will take about ten minutes. Keep turning. You may find that you have a few slightly charred bits and that some of the corn niblets are a little chewy -- but this is not corn as you may have had it before! Serve it with another helping of lime, salt, chilli and pepper. You will want to lick your fingers and, I would imagine, everyone else's too.And a top domestc tip for you is to serve this for your loved one when you have been squabbling -- you know, over the low-level domestic drudge stuff that must be dealt with.That kind of energy sapping thing. It will cheer you up, surprise you, it's messy and then you can do that thing with the fingers that I was just talking about.x

No comments: