A Kitchen Diary of sorts with rather a lot of chit chat and some exceptionally useful recipes. Photos and artwork by Anna Vaught (me), Giles Turnbull and the generous people at Flickr who make their work available through creative commons. They are thanked individually throughout the blog.

Tuesday 2 March 2010

A frittata

Well, there appears to be little food in the house. But wait: what's this? I have found the following items:

Did you get the boiled egg and soldiers thing?  Always have some eggs on hand for cheerful pictures and culinary emergencies, I say. Picture by Giles Turnbull.

six spring onions
three small cold jacket potatoes (that sounds kind of tragic, doesn't it? A bit like Mrs Beeton breaking the heart of a young lettuce)
a handful of cherry tomatoes
we have plentiful garlic and whole red chillies. If I have no other food, I always seem to have these -- plus my cupboard full of spices
half a yellow pepper
six eggs
two sticks of celery

Right: I have it. 

Chop up everything into small pieces, mince four cloves of garlic and, say, half a red chilli. Fry them off gently in a little olive oil in a large frying or saute pan. Meanwhile beat the eggs well with a little sea salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper. Then having made sure that your vegetables are fairly well distributed across the pan, pour on the eggs and raise the heat. Allow all to set and then either turn your substantial-variation-on-a substantial-Spanish-omelette with finesse and elan, or finish it off under a hot grill.. 

Harumph! It is done and, I reckon, it is pretty good fare. I would want plenty of chilli in my omelette and I might also like a little cheese in there somewhere. Perhaps three tablespoons of a sharp cheddar? Pitted olives would, be good, too. Serve with crusty bread or not if, like me, you are not entirely up to speed with the domestics this week.

No comments: