A Kitchen Diary of sorts with rather a lot of chit chat and some exceptionally useful recipes. Photos and artwork by Anna Vaught (me), Giles Turnbull and the generous people at Flickr who make their work available through creative commons. They are thanked individually throughout the blog.

Saturday 12 December 2009

The peanut

Ah the peanut, groundnut, what you will. I've long been devoted to this little nut, having happy memories of boiled peanuts in Georgia -- I imagine Damon Lee Folwer is right: you'll either dislike boiled peanuts or you won't be able to stop eating them: I'm in the latter camp-- toasted peanuts at the ball game, big bag of salted and a coke in the footwell of the car on what seemed like eternal journeys to South Wales as a kid. Yes: I did say footwell. This was earlier in the 20th-century, you know.

But, of course, I digress: here is a simple snack for when your blood sugar hits an all time low or you feel a bit weepy. And, as with the boiled peanuts, you'll either like this or you won't. This is the sort of snack which resuscitates, as I can testify.

Take a slice or two of some satisfying bread. I happened to choose a crusty white loaf, which I then toasted until it was crisp and the edges just a little charred here and there. Now spread the toast with peanut butter --crunchy, I'd say-- and top this with some thin slices of cheddar, whichever sort you like. That's it. Not exactly a recipe, this -- more an observation: try it when in need.

No comments: