A Kitchen Diary of sorts with rather a lot of chit chat and some exceptionally useful recipes. Photos and artwork by Anna Vaught (me), Giles Turnbull and the generous people at Flickr who make their work available through creative commons. They are thanked individually throughout the blog.

Monday 7 December 2009

Tinned sardines: ooh a little storecupboard miracle

Right: I want you to try this. It is what we had for tea last night and I cooked it because I needed to be convinced that it would work. I got the idea from Vicky Bhojal's very jolly book Cooking with Mummyji, where she has a recipe for pan fried (tinned) sardines. Now, I had eaten sardines with spices before, but they had been fresh fish, not the little guys from a tin. So try this and see if you like it. I think it's great and it is also incredibly easy -- hardly even cooking.

Spiced sardines, done in the oven. For Susie Freeman. tell me if you think it works!

For two, take 2 tins of sardines in oil. Drain off most of the oil. Now, put the sardines in a baking dish in a hot oven, having sprinkled over big fat pinches of ground cumin, coriander, freshly ground black pepper, just a few flakes of sea salt, a cautious pinch of red chilli flakes (or not, if you are me) and, I think, a pinch of asofoetida if you have it. Into the oven they go and, while you wait for them to cook and crisp, you have time to cook a pan of basmati rice. When the sardines smell fabulous and look crisp and glowing, take them out, serve them on your rice and scatter them with fresh coriander and a dollop or fresh yoghurt. That's it.

Well, actually, that could be it but because I am the sort of person who has to use up every last leftover bit of potato or spoonful of peas, I should say that I actually cooked these on top of a few leftover roast potatoes and, err, peas. I chopped the potatoes into tiny chunks and spiced the somewhat meagre helping of vegetables with the same mixture I put on the sardines. It does strike me, though, that this sardine dish would do very well cooked on a base of spiced and crisp (and already cooked) potato. Try it some time.

Thanks to Tim Parkinson at www.flickr.com for the tins!

No comments: