A Kitchen Diary of sorts with rather a lot of chit chat and some exceptionally useful recipes. Photos and artwork by Anna Vaught (me), Giles Turnbull and the generous people at Flickr who make their work available through creative commons. They are thanked individually throughout the blog.

Friday 3 July 2009

Flapjacks that never fail


I have this recipe, scribbled on a brown envelope, in my father's hand. It is postmarked Fishguard, Dyfed -- July 1978. Why was my father overcome with a sudden urge to write down a flapjack recipe in a rush of inspiration and why had he saved this tatty old envelope? I recall that he found cooking tiresome and stressful, but perhaps he had a yen to bake cakes for the fete? I shall never know. The picture above, by the way, shows a reminder on my chalk board at home which was prompted by my youngest son. When making flapjacks with him, we don't usually get much into the oven. x

Our house is never short of flapjacks. I do diverge from the following recipe a little in that I sometimes add some flour to make them a bit weightier (for school lunchboxes)and a splash of milk -- which gives them a slightly creamy taste and me the impression that I am giving more calcium to my milk-shy offspring.

240g rolled oats
150g unsalted butter
60g demerara sugar
2 level tablespoons of golden syrup.

Melt the butter, sugar and syrup in a saucepan then, in a large bowl, mix it into the oats. Just press the mixture into a greased 8 inch tin and bake for about 15 minutes in a medium hot oven.

Now, my father was a man who enjoyed precision. I notice that the recipe goes on to include the following in short neat sentences: "Bake in the centre of the oven. Cut into 2 inch squares. Cool in the tin. Turn onto a rack. Store in an airtight tin. Eat quickly before anyone else gets them."

I made these today after I looked at this recipe. I was glad I did. It's the twenty first anniversary of my father's death. I wish that, as an adult, I had known him. We could have had ourselves a proper tea party in the sun right now. He could admonish his grandsons.

1 comment:

gilest said...

I made this today, and can report two things:

- It didn't fail. It worked perfectly.

- What's more, this is the FIRST TIME I've ever made flapjack that worked perfectly. I was overjoyed.

An aptly-named recipe.