A Kitchen Diary of sorts with rather a lot of chit chat and some exceptionally useful recipes. Photos and artwork by Anna Vaught (me), Giles Turnbull and the generous people at Flickr who make their work available through creative commons. They are thanked individually throughout the blog.

Wednesday 15 July 2009

Lemon fridge cake

For Nest Davies and Jackie Rice

This was a regular whenever my parents went out, I remember. It's fresh tasting and a little bit tangy. I always helped with this one. It's not really in the repertoire of my kitchen these days, but I have a feeling that, pretty soon, I'll teach my boys to make it so they can impress, as Isaac aged five likes to say, "the laydeez."

Crush 300g digestive biscuits with a rolling pin. Best to put them in a bag first!
You also need150 g unsalted butter
3 level tbs cornflour
150ml water
The grated rind plus the juice of two lemons
120g caster sugar
2 egg yolks (from medium eggs)

So, melt the butter and add it to the crumbs. Now press this mixture into the base and sides of a 22cm flan dish. Actually, I find that, although I work in metric, I think, like my family, in inches for cake tins and cooking dishes. So, could I say 9 inch? Put this in the fridge to chill.

Blend the water and the cornflour together, then add the lemon rind and the juice. Bring slowly to the boil, stirring constantly and then simmer the mixture for 1 minute. Now remove it from the heat and add the caster sugar. Allow it to cool slightly --say for five minutes-- and then beat in the egg yolks. Cool for another five minutes and then pour into the crumb-lined dish. Chill this in the fridge for 5-6 hours. I remember that my mother used to decorate the top with a few little parings of lemon rind and also that she put the fridge cake in the freezer for the last hour before serving.

No comments: