A Kitchen Diary of sorts with rather a lot of chit chat and some exceptionally useful recipes. Photos and artwork by Anna Vaught (me), Giles Turnbull and the generous people at Flickr who make their work available through creative commons. They are thanked individually throughout the blog.

Friday 26 June 2009

Fairy cakes for strapping lads.




Fairy cakes for strapping lads.


Now, why would you need such a recipe? Because it's a prompt to action and the pleasures of simple baking. This is a regular in our house with my young boys -- and, of course, everyone likes the licking best. Although I am supposed to be telling you that we shouldn't be imbibing raw eggs, by and large.

I use large muffin cases for these -- because the little cakes look more voluptuous in them. I just cooked two hundred of them for Mothering Sunday service at a local church. All golden and slightly cripsy around the frill of the case and topped with pastel-coloured icing and sweeties they looked, I might, say a picture.

To make 12-14.

Cream 250 grams of unsalted butter with 200 of caster sugar.
Add 250 of self raising flour, mix well, then add four free range medium eggs and a half teaspoon of natural vanilla essence. I use my trusty electric hand-held beater to work this in for a couple of minutes. This recipe makes a nice rich mixture and the cakes are buttery tasting.

Cook for about ten minutes in a medium hot oven. If you're not sure of yourself, remove on and poke a knife in. It should come out clean.When they are cool, just sieve a little icing sugar over them.

BUT I'm not after restraint here....so...

For the toppings, just put a teacup of icing sugar in a bowl and, very slowly, add water to make a paste. You don't want it to be too thin Add a little colour to taste -- I like the combination of very pale yellow, pink and green. Not all in one bolw: make a separate mix for each colour! Now, you can get 'natural' colours, but I cannot promise.

Before the icing dries, add little smarties or jelly tots. If you were to make a huge tableful of these, in their pastel-hued prettiness, it would make a great treat for a group of people, I think. Or even, if you just put one lovely cake --get some crystallised violets if you want to bring tears to my eyes-- into a small box and trim it up a bit, you're providing a fine treat for someone. It's along the lines of one of my favourite presents ever one Christmas: a large clear glass bauble on gold thread, packed in white tissue paper in a little gold box. But I would also have liked the cake.

No comments: