A Kitchen Diary of sorts with rather a lot of chit chat and some exceptionally useful recipes. Photos and artwork by Anna Vaught (me), Giles Turnbull and the generous people at Flickr who make their work available through creative commons. They are thanked individually throughout the blog.

Sunday 14 June 2009

Inauthentically fabulous chicken and potato curry


All recipes copyright Anna Vaught. And, to tempt you, the pictures are of different curries I've been cooking. You can book me, you know.


Hello again.
Now, I can do you a super duper authentic (insofar as such a thing exists) chicken curry -- and likewise something with potatoes....but say you have a chicken carcass with some meat still to be eaten, a bowl of cold, cooked potatoes --because you over-catered on last night's roast chicken dinner for poor hayfever-stricken husband (with bread sauce --I don't care if some food writers think it's naff: it makes me feel like I'm home)... Well, here is what I did.

Inauthentically fabulous chicken curry for Saturday night in front of the telly. This served two.

You have your bowl of cold cooked pots. Taken them out of the fridge (there were about ten new potatoes in there). Now, in a wok or large frying pan, fry half a large onion until it is sweet and golden. Ghee or sunflower oil for your frying medium? I added two chopped cloves of garlic and a thumbnail sized piece of root ginger, finely chopped. When all was soft and sweet, I added a dessertspoon of cumin seeds, one of ground coriander, a teaspoon of turmeric and a big fat pinch of asafoetida. Also a teaspoon of red chilli flakes Then, to make this 'tarka' base, I cooked all these ingredients gently, before adding about a tablespoon of tomato puree and a tin of plum tomatoes. I had chopped these in the tin. Heat gently until it all thickens; if you don't, it won't work its magic and the toms will taste metallic. Salt and pepper to taste after, say, fifteen to twenty minutes and then in go two handfuls of frozen petit pois (or hell: just pois), the potatoes and as much chicken as you can strip. Mix well, bring to a high heat to reduce the sauce a little and then cook through for five to ten minutes -- enough to ensure that all is piping hot, but also depending on how well cooked your potatoes were to begin with. If they disintegrate a little, it's not the end of the world, though.
In the last five minutes I added a handful of coriander (cilantro) and the same of fresh mint --chopped. Check for seasoning again. You might want just a little sourness, in which case, add some lemon juice to taste or a couple of teaspoons of either amchoor (green mango powder) or anardhana (pomegranate powder - wonderfully aromatic). Mix well.

We had this --oh how slutty-- while watching a film in bed. And I served it with a simple raita which, in an unorthodox manner, I made from whizzing fresh mint (big bunch) in the blender with a pot of cottage cheese (had no yoghurt), a clove of garlic and a little milk. It was really good. You could also add finely chunked cucumber. The reason I didn't --big confession here-- is that I knew it would be a bit watery by the time I had the leftovers for a little midnight snack later. On toast!


And if you chucked out that chicken carcass, you're banned from my blog! No-- just joking: I'll write later on this subject.

No comments: