A Kitchen Diary of sorts with rather a lot of chit chat and some exceptionally useful recipes. Photos and artwork by Anna Vaught (me), Giles Turnbull and the generous people at Flickr who make their work available through creative commons. They are thanked individually throughout the blog.

Thursday 11 June 2009

Slob's sandwich


All recipes copyright Anna Vaught.

Hello. I'll call this the slob's sandwich. But man: it was good. Don't tell anyone. I had to do a lot of hard thinking this morning and then write a letter to the Bishop (did I say I had a lot of balls in the air and was mildly eccentric?) so starch was the aim of the game.

Slob's sandwich. For those under stress. (I may also refer you to Elvis Presley for the fried peanut buttter and banana sandwich one of these days...)

You need some good brown bread, which you could butter or not. Today, I didn't. Then, into a bowl goes a tin of tuna. I like it in oil because, to be honest, the calorie-saving-tune-in-brine varieties look like something I feed to our cats. So, the tuna. Drain it well (actually, if you have cats, they'd love this oil), mix in lots of chopped spring onions, green and white parts, some mayonnaise and some black pepper. Also, a good pinch of flaked red chilli. Now, to this -- this is the slob part-- I added a good handful of oven chips, which I had crisped up under the grill. Spoon the filling generously onto the bread and top with the chips. Eat with an appropriate degree of inelegance. I mean, I can give you cordon bleu -- but that's not always what you want, is it?

1 comment:

gilest said...

ms scarlet, you are a flippin' genius. i want to eat this sandwich and i want to eat it right now.

lacking oven chips, tomorrow may have to suffice.