A Kitchen Diary of sorts with rather a lot of chit chat and some exceptionally useful recipes. Photos and artwork by Anna Vaught (me), Giles Turnbull and the generous people at Flickr who make their work available through creative commons. They are thanked individually throughout the blog.

Saturday 27 June 2009

Runners beans all by themselves


Runner beans, the way I like them.


Let me introduce you to my favourite dish in the whole world. I've noticed that a preference for this is markedly strong across my family, too. So here's to them.

When the runner beans are in season -- not long now, as I write-- take great handfuls of them, if you can. They shouldn't flop in your hand but look, well, alert. Wash and cut the very ends off -- or just the stalk, chop them into generous slices (which I do across the diagonal), cook them until they are tender but not soft and serve. With nothing -- but just a little butter, at most.

Sometimes, I like to serve a lovely vegetable all by itself as a course of a bigger meal. But these would be good with a roast Sunday dinner, too. Growing up, my mother tended to serve these beans with a shepherd's pie. But when we took the first beans from the row or the teepee in the garden, we had them all on their own.

No comments: