A Kitchen Diary of sorts with rather a lot of chit chat and some exceptionally useful recipes. Photos and artwork by Anna Vaught (me), Giles Turnbull and the generous people at Flickr who make their work available through creative commons. They are thanked individually throughout the blog.

Saturday 27 June 2009

Radishes to bring you joy.



In praise of the radish.



My earliest memory of radishes is of those I used to pull out of my father's garden. I would pull the leaves off --these days, I don't: they're good raw or cooked-- wipe them on my leg and eat. I still do that if I've grown them at home. But try this. It's something described by the great Elizabeth David in French Provincial Cooking and, I notice, is listed as one of Nigel Slater's marriages made in heaven in another book I love, his Appetite. It's radishes, just stripped of their greens, washed carefully and then served with cold butter.

The picture above --and man: that's a lot of radishes-- is by Adactio at www.flick'r.com Thank you!

So get the best butter you can-- unsalted. Then try this: a little morsel of butter and a bite from a whole radish. Or a dab of butter across the radish. I suppose you could add a few crystals of some good sea salt --such as the Maldon salt that I use-- but that's it. And you don't slice them or prink them: you keep them whole and admire their beautiful colour -- like you're noticing it for the first time. We'll be having them later this week.

No comments: